Objective: As a culminating experience in the class, (re)introduce yourself in a brief video.
Submission & Assessment 1 – Film: Enter a Vimeo url in the appropriate D2L assignment submission folder. Your individual grade for the video will be averaged with other project scores.
Submission & Assessment 2 – Documentation: Upload a single .pdf binder of documentation to the appropriate D2L assignment submission folder. Your individual grade for the documentation binder will be average with other participation scores.
Grading criteria as follows:
- Documentation. Footage Log (no less than a 5:1 shooting ratio is expected); Personal Release(s); Location Release(s); Storyboard; Lighting Plot; Script. Uploaded to the appropriate D2L assignment folder.
- Lighting. 3-point lighting with a 2:1 key-to-fill ratio is preferred. If equipment limitations make this impossible, your lighting scheme should still articulate the z-axis.
- Camera. Exposure, ISO speed, white balance, and focus should all be manual. Auto iris blooms and auto focus distortions will be penalized.
- Resolution. 1080HD. Progressive Scan. Square pixels. 16:9. Stereo. Shot, edited, exported, and uploaded to Vimeo at 23.976 frames per second.
- Composition. Articulates the z-axis with the Rule of Thirds. Violations of the 30/20 and 180° rules will be penalized.
- Movement. Performer movement sufficient to facilitate continuity editing. At least one camera movement if possible.
- Location Dialogue. You must record no fewer than 25 words of DUAL-SYSTEM AUDIO – original recorded dialogue synchronized with visible lip movements. Appropriately intimate mic placement and recording level for minimal noise floor. 1 minute of room tone recorded at each shooting location and documented in your footage log.
- Post Production. Begin with a standard LEADER. Conclude with 30 seconds of silent black. Include neither in the total running time of your video.
- Running time. Your video may be exactly 30 (thirty) or exactly 60 (sixty) seconds in length. Exactly. Because films frequently must conform to industry standards, making them fit precise length requirements is an important career competence.
- Editing. No fewer than two CONTINUITY edits. No fewer than two J- or L-cuts.
- Color. Basic color correction using Adobe’s Lumetri Color panel. Manual white balance will consistency of flesh tones from shot to shot.
- Audio Mix. Average combined volume levels mixed to -12dB. Royalty-free music should be back-timed and properly attributed.
- Closing Credits. Five second maximum. List contributors as few times as possible. Combine credits if necessary (i.e. “written and directed by”) so that no person will be listed more than twice. Credit any content that you did not create. Check sources carefully for licenses and attribution details. Unless you have registered a limited liability company (LLC), please do not indicate copyright or corporate identity.
- Export the entire timeline (from the beginning of the bars and tone to the end of silent black) to your VIMEO account. While YouTube certainly has market share, Vimeo is friendlier to media makers. If you aspire to careers in animation or digital filmmaking, a polished Vimeo account hosting portfolio, demo reel, and projects for client review, will be a professional asset. The url should be in this format: https://vimeo.com/332326604 – nothing more than the name of the hosting platform plus a number. Additional words and characters indicate administrative pages that visitors may not be able to access.